Grain-Free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Banana bread is a staple in our house. We get bananas free from our church’s food ministry so I always have an abundance. My favorite banana bread recipes are Organic Chocolate Chip Banana Bread and Soaked Banana Bread. Or, at least they were…
Now that we are grain free (at least for January) I needed a grain-free alternative. I wasn’t about to waste overripe bananas. I found a grain-free banana bread recipe over at my friend Kristen from Rethink Simple’s blog that is amazing! I asked her if it would be ok to modify it for my blog and she said yes! Yay! Now there’s a new banana bread in town!
I’ve made this grain-free banana bread 6 times in the last week-and-a-half. I kid you not! I am serious about getting a recipe perfect! I used Kristen’s base recipe for things like flour, eggs and baking powder amounts but revamped it because I wanted to add some ingredients.
When working with coconut flour you have to make sure you have enough liquid. Coconut flour is very fibrous and quickly absorbs the liquid that is added to it. If you don’t add enough, you will have a very grainy and rather unpleasant end result.
I’ve been obsessed with adding gelatin to everything lately! I like to use Gelatin Hydrolysate for recipes that don’t need to be “gelled”. It adds nutrients to whatever it’s added to. You’ll see it pop up in many of my more recent recipes.
As always, there are links within the recipe itself to where you can easily purchase the ingredients.
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt (I like Real Salt)
- 4 ripe bananas
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3 TBS to 1/4 cup maple syrup (grade B has more minerals)
- 2 TBS applesauce (here is a recipe for homemade)
- 2 tsp vanilla (I like homemade or this brand
- 2 TBS gelatin hydrolysate - CANNOT use regular gelatin!
- 1/2 to 1 cup soy-free chocolate chips (can buy here or here)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a loaf pan (bottom and sides) with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl crack eggs and add coconut flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
- Mix gelatin and maple syrup together in a small bowl and add to mixture.
- Melt coconut oil if solid and add to bowl along with remaining ingredients.
- Mix well and allow to sit for about 5 minutes.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees F for about 1 hour. It takes mine about 1 hour 10 minutes for a knife inserted in the center to come out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool on a baking rack.
- Can be eaten warm or cold.
- Store in the refrigerator.
This Grain-Free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is my new favorite recipe! It is very moist and not overly sweet. I have to make two loaves for it to last into the next day with my hungry crew!
Be nourished. Be happy.
This post contains affiliate links. Clicking on these links doesn’t cost anything but purchases made through them provide me with a small commission. This helps me keep my blog up and running. Thank you for your support! I appreciate it very much!
Sarah is a wife, mom of 4, farm owner, and real food blogger at Real Food Outlaws. She is also an Master Herbalist and owns 90210 Organics, an Eco-boutique and Apothecary. She holds a Master’s Degree in Applied Clinical Nutrition from New York Chiropractic College and is a Clinical/Functional Nutritionist and Advanced Nutrition Response Testing™ Practitioner at Natural Health Improvement Center of South Jersey and Natural Health Improvement Center of Des Moines. You can often find her barefoot in the garden (or kitchen), or rummaging through a refrigerator (not necessarily her own).