Real Food Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
Another fall dessert recipe! Yay! This time of year when the weather gets cooler and pumpkins and apples are in season, baking happens!
My mom is a baking queen! You can always find her whipping up something yummy in her kitchen. Growing up, she always made things from scratch. No boxed mixes for us! Her baking has evolved over the last few years as I’ve become more and more “real food” and organic. She has changed from just cooking things from scratch to really focusing on sourcing good quality organic, wholesome ingredients.
Mom baked these pumpkin cream cheese muffins and I have the privilege of blogging about how amazing they are! I just had to do a photo shoot as soon as I saw them! They’re so pretty!
I haven’t tried making them with alternative flours like almond or all-purpose, gluten-free flour. I think they would still turn out fine and as soon as I have time I will experiment. Please keep in mind that as much as I try to offer gluten-free or grain-free options for my recipes, my family isn’t grain or gluten-free. It can get very expensive to test out every recipe with every possible combination. I do try though, I really do!
Cream cheese can be purchased or homemade. Here’s a great recipe from The Prairie Homestead and one from The Elliott Homestead. Need a dairy free version? Here’s one from Primal Kitchen and another from The Spunky Coconut and one more from Healthy Living How-To.
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 pastured egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 TBS sucanat, coconut sugar or raw honey
- 4 1/2 TBS sprouted flour (I like spelt or einkorn), or almond flour
- 5 TBS sucanat or coconut sugar
- 3/4 tsp ground organic cinnamon
- 3 TBS pastured butter (like Kerrygold or farm fresh)
- 3 TBS chopped pecans (optional)
- 2 1/2 cups sprouted or almond flour
- 2 cups sucanat or coconut sugar (this can be cut back to 1 cup and add a little applesauce)
- 2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
- 2 tsp [organic pumpkin pie spice|http://amzn.to/17tdJTl
- 1/2 tsp real salt
- 2 pastured eggs
- 1 1/3 cups pumpkin puree (canned or homemade)
- 1/3 cup pastured butter, lard or coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and prepare 18 muffin cups with butter (or coconut oil) and flour, or use liners (paper or silicone).
- For filling - Beat cream cheese until smooth and add in the egg, vanilla and sucanat or coconut sugar.
- For the topping - in another bowl, mix flour, sucanat or coconut sugar, cinnamon and pecans (if using).
- Add in butter or coconut oil and cut in with a fork or pastry cutter until crumbly.
- For the muffin batter - mix together flour, sweetener of choice, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
- Mix in wet ingredients and beat until smooth.
- Fill muffin cups about halfway.
- Add one tablespoonful of the cream cheese mixture to the middle of each muffin.
- If using cupcake liner, try to keep the cream cheese away from the edges. It will burn.
- Sprinkle the topping over the cream cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 20-25 minutes.
Perfection! You’ll love these little fall gems and will want to make them over and over again! Thanks, Mom!
What’s your favorite fall recipe? Feel free to share a link in comments!
Sarah is a wife, mom of 4, farm owner, and real food blogger at Real Food Outlaws. She is also an Master Herbalist and owns 90210 Organics, an Eco-boutique and Apothecary. She holds a Master’s Degree in Applied Clinical Nutrition from New York Chiropractic College and is a Clinical/Functional Nutritionist and Advanced Nutrition Response Testing™ Practitioner at Natural Health Improvement Center of South Jersey and Natural Health Improvement Center of Des Moines. You can often find her barefoot in the garden (or kitchen), or rummaging through a refrigerator (not necessarily her own).